Ingenious machines that require no runway include military helicopters and jump jets, autogyros, drones and the Boeing V-22 Osprey, both plane and helicopter. They can hover and manoeuvre cleverly, too, while the brilliant Lunar Module of 1969 even landed men on the Moon! These machines pack some punchy records: highest helicopter rescue, tallest rocket, fastest jump jet and
• High interest subject with a special focus on cutting-edge aircraft design.
• Brings together historic, record- breaking feats of piloted flight.
• Text presented in neat nuggets along with simple technical diagrams to explain aircraft engineering.
• Superb and inspiring photography.
• Designed to engage the most reluctant reader.